Why Should You Hire a Family Law Lawyer?
A family law lawyer can help you prevent legal disputes with loved ones—and resolve them.
However, many families in Calgary do not seek legal assistance until a situation has deteriorated to the point where the matter needs court intervention and they don’t know what to do.
Family lawyers do more than handle dispute resolution. We can prepare a variety of agreements between spouses and partners, help with the marriage and divorce process, and protect families where domestic violence is an issue.
While there is sometimes a perception from families that handling matters without a lawyer can save costs, this can be a false economy. Often, a family lawyer must be called in later to clear up unresolved (and sometimes escalated) legal problems.
Let’s consider the areas where a family law lawyer may assist you and your family to get back on an even keel.
What services does a family lawyer provide?
Family lawyers can help with creating legal agreements, applications to the court, representation in court, and dispute resolution between family members.
It generally helps when your lawyer is intimately familiar both with the local Calgary courts and the finer details of Alberta family law.
As part of the services provided, a family lawyer will frequently assist with preparing the following types of legal documentation:
- Cohabitation agreements: where a couple lives together but does not legally marry and wishes to create rules to guide property division, support entitlement, and other financial matters if the relationship ends.
- Prenuptial agreements: where a couple who intends to marry wishes to create rules to guide property division, support entitlement, and other financial matters if the relationship ends.
- Postnuptial agreements: where a married couple wishes to create rules to guide property division, support entitlement, and other financial matters if the relationship ends.
- Separation agreements: where a married couple separates and divorces, and needs to resolve matters such as property division, child custody, child support and spousal support.
Family lawyers can also assist with making applications to the court, such as:
- Application for spousal support: when a marriage ends, one of the partners can claim support to assist the transition to self-sufficiency and this requires an application to the family law courts in Calgary.
- Emergency Protection Order (EPO): if you and/or your family members are threatened with harm, an EPO can help to alleviate the threat.
A family law lawyer will also assist with alternative dispute resolution (ADR). This is where mediation, negotiation, collaboration, and/or arbitration are used to resolve disputes rather than litigation.
Litigation is expensive and time-consuming. It is also a matter of public record and you have no control over the outcome.
Using alternative dispute resolution methods, family matters may be kept out of the courtroom and resolved rapidly and equitably between family members.
If you do need to go to court, for instance in a divorce case that cannot be resolved through mediation or collaboration, a family lawyer will represent you and defend your interests.
8 reasons why you need a family lawyer
For most people, family relationships are the most important ones that we have. Often, however, these relationships are challenged, become strained or break down due to circumstances.
Every family goes through times of uncertainty and dispute but it need not end up in a bitter legal dispute.
A family lawyer who is sensitive to your situation, knowledgeable about the legal rights involved, and capable of helping you get your relationships back on track can be a huge asset for any family in Calgary.
Whether you need dispute resolution, document preparation, an application to the court or representation in court, a family lawyer can assist in the following ways…
Hire a family lawyer in Calgary
Please contact us now to schedule a consultation or call us at (403) 452-0043. We look forward to meeting with you.